Friday, May 27, 2011

How do I add a user on ubuntu 11.04?

Long time ago I got a dell mini 9 inch and the kids kind of like it but the keys are really small, so is the screen so there wasn't a lot of love.  Then we lost the power adapter and it sat idle for a long time.  Probably 6 months.  I found a replacement power cord on ebay for about $7 and now we can use it again.

it came with XP but that was running slow so I installed ubuntu on it to try and make it more interesting.  I think it worked.  I kind of have fun with it.  Just a toy so far and really it will probably be that way for ever cause it is so small.

Back to the point.  I want it to work right when I logon which means I want some stuff saved as part of my user profile, but I don't want the kids getting on to my stuff either.

We added one user from the command line. My son actually did that, good job buddy! I found an article that shows how to do it via the gui interface:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/03/addremove-users-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal/

To summarize: 
System Settings, System, Users and Groups

No comments: